Saturday, January 5, 2008

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

The plague and the splinter in my mind. It's a pain in the ass living with it. How many of you feel vexed over leftover files and registry entries after an uninstallation of an application? Even after cleaning with registry cleaner and the likes, I still can't help being skeptical about their existence which results in a clean format. That's why I'm extremely finical when it comes to installation of applications, to make sure I’m only installing the needed and the useful ones. I also prefer to maintain application windows in their default location. (Just like the first time they run.) 

The obsession with completion has caused great inconvenience to my daily activities especially web surfing. I’m pressed to wait for the entire page of a web site to finish loading before I move on to the other page even though the page only serves as a transit to my real destination. Likewise, it applies to music as well. I will wait for the entire song to finish before switching song or turning off the player. I’m also inclined to treat every song of an album fairly. Let’s say I have played the first track X amount of time, the other tracks must be played X amount of time as well. If I listen to the first track through music video, I would play the whole album by skipping the first track to balance it out. Besides, I'm compelled to keep things in a complete set, and preferably with no intrusive/unrelated things. (E.g. I only use legal softwares on my laptop.) If I couldn’t find a particular item which belongs to the same set, I rather not buy any item of the set at all. (E.g. Action Figures; If I fail to purchase the limited edition figure of a series, I would pass the whole series.) Most fortunately, this rule only applies to certain things.

When it comes to dining, I’m constrained to finish every edible piece on the plate. Recently, I’m able to cope with it in order to compromise for health. I like to wash hands frequently too. I have this strange imaginary of microbes on things that I touch, namely door knobs, water taps, handles and money. I don’t like to have too much contact with things that I treasure. Like for my Lynda (Laptop), I never rest my palms on the typing area. While for books, booklets, artworks or CDs, I will try to avoid as much contact with my fingertips and try to get ahold of it with my palms. Flipping books is troublesome for me too. I’m afraid of wrinkling the pages. That’s why I find it very hard to lend people my things. I fear that people will label me as a stingy and lansi fella but it really worries me a lot.

Apart from the nuisance, OCD helps in certain achievements. Perfectionism. I will utilize my capability to produce something I enjoy in doing to be the best in its shape. Tasks like designing, tidying up and furnishing. Provide that I’m given adequate time. As for indulgence, I will always select the best available material if I can afford or get. Music and movies I mean. I rather not watch or listen to a badly recorded piece, hoping a better version will be available. You should know that it’s not easy being me after reading all this. Treasure and cherish your life. Good Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha too complicated n scary