Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Golden Compass

The team who made the intriguing trailer must be praised for the good impression it gives and the anticipation I had. How bad can it be with great visuals and prominent cast members I thought. To my surprise, this movie has most of the elements that define a bad movie. Lame dialogues, unmoving music, laughable choreography and unconvincing acting. All the pieces fail to connect brilliantly, making it a stodgy 2-hour feed. It's such a waste for casting Eva Green, Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman in it. The visual candies are the only remaining fun factor that keeps me seated, I still yawned like 5 times nevertheless. Everytime when Lyra spaces out when she enquires the compass, it reminds me of the Ghost Rider's Penance Stare. They share the same lameness. If the alethiometer is indeed that powerful to seek the truths in the world full of the Magisterium's propagandas; Why not just use it to clear all the doubts Lyra has and find out the Magisterium's weaknesses? Instead of using it to reveal Serafina Pekkala's first love. It's not funny. *Eyes rolling* Another obvious sohai scene is when the Magisterium's troops are trying to take down Iorek. While Iorek is free and pawning their comrades, they try to shoot like hell and miss miserably. When they finally hooked Iorek down with the rope-anchor thingy, the rest of the troops just aim at Iorek without shooting. It's like they delay it on purpose, to get pawned by the witches (Gyptians' reinforcement) before taking him down. You should see the look of Billy's face when Lyra recovers him after the “intercition”. He looks as though a stud has been suffering from a sudden Erectile Dysfunction. Excuse me for ruining the supposedly melancholic scene. I'm not directly critising Philip Pullman's novel, actually I haven't read it. I'm just paying my two cents on the movie by itself. Sorry if I have offended the fans of the movie. It's just my honest point of view. I would name it "The Vapid Compass".

2 comments:

bibliobibuli said...

oh dear. was thinking of going to see it. the books are good so don't let this put you off them ...

Kelvin said...

Thanks for commenting. I will read them if I have the chance. Maybe you should give the movie a try, a fan of the novels might has an entirely different view.